Monday, April 11, 2011

College Textbooks

I just had the runaround with Pearson Higher Ed (a textbook publisher). I usually don't use printed textbooks, but this summer is a literature course and more than one student has said that a printed book (rather than online) would help.

Now I would think that Pearson would be glad to be helpful to me. After all, I'm an unpaid sales representative for their company. I'm delivering them an $1800 sale without any real effort on their part. All they have to do is cooperate.

All I want is a desk copy of the textbook so I can make assignments. I went to their website. I need to register to do anything whatsoever. When I enter my e-mail address, I discover that I'm already registered. They send me a cunning little 31-letter code. I enter it. Now I need my password. I only use two different passwords for sites like this one, so I try one, then the other. Neither works. I look for customer service. All of the customer service links require that password. Finally I find the tech rep live chat. Yes, he can help me. No, I don't really exist in the system. All I have to do now is phone the sales person and have a chat with her. Then she'll give me the magic word that will enable me to sell their product to my students.

I'm seriously rethinking the whole idea of using this overpriced ($98) book.

No comments:

Post a Comment