Saturday, May 30, 2009

Ahh Summertime

I have pledged to myself that this summer will be different. I usually run hard from about June 1 until May 15 every year (with a significant gap at Christmas). Part of the hard running, of course, is that I have usually spent something like five weeks every year in Washington DC, which does cut into my time here. That's going to change now. Mom doesn't have the enormous house which needs gardening and everything. And somehow, sleeping in her back bedroom at the senior residence isn't quite so appealing.

Anyhow, I'm here in Mansfield, probably unemployed for the duration, at least until the end of August. So what do I do?

Lots of cleaning. My apartment suffered from my depression and burnout this year, and summer is always my time anyhow for carpet shampooing and all that. So I've been working hard most afternoons. Bought myself a tiny carpet shampooer too—gotta help the economy in China.

I haven't exactly been unemployed either. Almost every day I work on material for the autumn courses. I've got all the "nuts and bolts" stuff figured out (basic course schedules, policies, etc.). Now I'm going to take a deep breath, find some of the books and papers I read in grad school, and rethink what I do with these guys. If I hit my goal, I'll have both fall and spring semesters essentially nailed down when the end of August rolls around.

Finally got back into the gym too. And the bike trail (33 miles yesterday). Maybe that's why I feel so tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment