Thursday, August 27, 2009

Start of Semester

Things actually went very smoothly on the first day. At Akron, I found a parking space after only half an hour of looking (pretty typical for the start of the fall semester). Everything works (in terms of computers and so forth). I did lose an adapter for my Apple laptop, which meant an emergency trip to the Apple store in Cleveland, but that wasn't really a big deal.

Altogether, things look pretty fine.

Except for football.

At Ashland, football is the engine that drives the entire campus. It's easily the most important thing going on, both in terms of capital investment and numbers of people involved. And, like most schools, Ashland has a policy that varsity athletes get an excused absence when the team is on the road. So I got an e-mail recently with the list of players leaving next Wednesday. Sixty-five players, listed in random order, three across, first name before last name. And I'm supposed to compare this list with my forty-five students. I complained, and found out that they are not in random order. They are listed according to jersey number! Now that is helpful.

Not.

No comments:

Post a Comment