Monday, December 14, 2009

One more snipe at electronic money

I looked at the calendar today and realized that I probably should have a paycheck from Ashland University. Their pay schedule is irregular, and they have been trying unsuccessfully since September to get direct deposit to work for me, so I figured it was about time (again) to do some searching.

I guess I'm obsessive, because I stayed on the project for an hour and a half. After an hour of trying every search term (and search engine) I could think of, I just gave up and sent an e-mail to my secretary. Then I thought of a few more ways to conduct the search—all of which failed. Apparently the schedule just isn't published anywhere except in the paper copy of the adjunct manual, which is only available by request  because of the expense of printing the thing. So now I know that on the 18th I need to drive to Ashland to pick up the check that they won't mail because of the expense.

Ashland isn't alone. NCSC, which also has a very irregular (and late) pay schedule doesn't make it available either. Theirs is easy to remember, though. If I work an 8-week summer session, I get paid in weeks six, eight, and ten. Approximately. If I work there next summer, it's anybody's guess, though, because they have gone to the arcane world of direct deposit too.

The University of Akron seems to have things nailed down better than the others. Direct deposit works flawlessly, and I can even find out online when they have paid me, except, of course, for the last paycheck of the semester. You see, the pay advice is available on a server that's only available to employees, and because I'm an adjunct, my contract terminates about three weeks before the final paycheck is issued, so of course I can't check to find whether (or how much) I got paid. Because I don't work there any more.

And the lady at Chase Bank thought I was silly for wanting the simple days of paper checks and paper check stubs.

No comments:

Post a Comment