Friday, February 18, 2011

Gone

Crown Tower Coffee. It was always overpriced and had some weird merchandise. Who really wants to pay luxury prices for laundry detergent and clothes pins? But I did like their food items and their wine. Coffee went downhill after the founder died, though. I think the women who ran it after his death weren't really roast masters, and the flavor always seemed flat and vacant. Nevertheless, I'll miss the touch of civilization they brought to Mansfield.

Aspen Bread & Bagel. Their location and oddly cold glass-and-aluminum decor worked against them, but they were a great place to eat. Like Crown Tower, their cookery skills seemed to decline in the last few months. Their bread was distinctly doughy and underbaked. But I will miss their Mediterranean sandwich. It was always surprising to me that they closed at 3 p.m. and never opened on Sunday—thus keeping me from being a customer several times a month.

2 comments:

  1. Crown and Tower opened my eyes as a young teenager to the wonders of specialty tea. They had small sample bags of loose tea that were cheap enough for me to bike down to the Appleseed shopping center and pick up a few bags in the summer. I have very fond memories of purchasing my very first tea-ball and going home to make apricot sun tea.

    As for Aspen, my daughters were truly in love with their avalanche smoothie that had "a whole banana!" They were pricey, but the food was a nice break from KFC and McD's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom's Hamburgers has been gone for a while too. Is there any good, non-franchise food in Mansfield? Is our best bet really Panera's? (People keep suggesting Athens, but I know Greek food and I usually find theirs disappointing.)

    ReplyDelete