Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Deadline

I promise this is my last word on men's ministries (for a while at least).

I'm seeing a problem with Jerry's "post high-school" group. When is a person too old? And how does a leader eject a too-old person?

The high school group has a natural ejection process. Almost. When high school ends, many of the recent graduates just hang around for the summer, but many of them go away to a different town for college. Problem solved—almost. There have often been students who never left town and simply wouldn't stop attending the high school group. Their friends are there; they feel like kids; and there's nothing else for them in the church.

VoilĂ ! A new answer! Post-high school group (presumably the "kids" up to about 21 years old). But then what?

When I was in college, I attended such a group at a local Presbyterian church. One of the guys looked a bit older than the rest of us, but then again, the group had several engineers from McDonnell-Douglas. So I wasn't too troubled. He drove a really cool car. It was a 1952 Hudson Hornet, in perfect condition. I asked him how he got the thing, and he told me that after he graduated from college, he bought it with the first real money he earned. New. Fresh from the factory.

No comments:

Post a Comment