Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Mixed Emotions

In between teaching and grading, I've been doing a bit of reading about men's ministries. I've got sort of an emotional turmoil as a result.

Of course, like most people, I watch high school kids' ministry and ask why we can't have anything like that. Why can't we have fun, interesting, important events? Why can't we have close friendships? Why can't we actually deal with issues more important than getting new tires for the car?

Then I read some of the websites for organizations that promise exactly that sort of thing for men's groups. And I get wistful. I can't imagine anything like that happening here. It would require no less than a complete paradigm shift for a modern Ohio church to see the value of men associating with one another. The status quo (a church of women, children, and teenagers with men on the edges sort of facilitating things) works just fine, and there would be enormous political difficulties if men began to become empowered in any way.

I'm going to keep reading, thinking, and even praying, but don't expect to see anything on this blog. This idea has to fly under the radar.

No comments:

Post a Comment