Monday, November 16, 2009

End of the day

I'm sitting here at the church, waiting for Jared to be finished with his Bible study. It was supposed to end at 8 p.m., and now it's 8:20. That's about typical, I guess.

I had hoped to get back to the apartment and finish grading about six papers before bed, but I'm not so sure of that now. The grading cycle is very wearing on a teacher, both because of the sheer work and because (especially this late in the semester) I feel like a failure looking at the wretched quality some of my people put out. I've got to keep telling myself that 13 weeks isn't enough time to work many miracles. Keep saying that. Especially when the miracle recipients aren't exactly interested in the process.

So here I sit. I think I'm sort of on the wrong end of the various liberation movements. Back in the day (which means about 1965) men were considered to be the "normal" people and everything was tilted toward them (back in 1965, "men" wasn't exactly "us" yet for me). Now I look at the church (and ours isn't that different from many other churches) and see that there's a lot of emphasis on ministry to girls and women. Lots aimed at elementary school children, junior high kids, high school kids, and (new this year) the odd post-high-school age slot that might have gone to college (perhaps about 20 to 25 years old). Notice anything? Anyone left out?

Yes, I know that adult males are seen by the paranoid hystericals as a threat. And I know that we're dull, but necessary because we earn much of the money and drive people places. It would be nice, though, if there were some way for us to get in on things. Maybe something more than the annual Men's Prayer Breakfast (that occasionally misses a year or two).

No comments:

Post a Comment