Monday, February 8, 2010

Facebook loses its mind

Just when I thought I had the world figured out (I found the raisins at Kroger and assembled a Sauder chest of drawers), things got weird again.

The new Facebook layout apparently shows me everyone else's comments, but I can never see my own. How weird. So if I make a comment in the "What's on your mind?" space, it will never appear with everyone else's. (Yes, I know I can find it my clicking "My profile," but I had sort of expected it to be out there on the "News Feed" page.)

Maybe there's some odd self-effacing thing going on here that I'm not supposed to be that interested in my own comments or what people respond to them. I'm hoping others can see them.

Late-breaking

Oh ye of little faith! It does move my stuff over there—it just takes between 30 and 40 minutes to do it. That really changes the dynamic of an online conversation. It's not like a talk. More like sending old-fashioned paper letters back and forth. Post something. Go make dinner. Come back and see if it worked. Someone has something to say. Maybe another hour and my response will get back to him.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if this were some form of "flood control." I would be tempted, if things moved faster, to actually have large group conversations. As it is, the "wall" metaphor is more like painting graffiti and seeing whether someone has responded the next evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment