Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Going to get published

The pastor of my church has asked me to write a short column for the monthly church newsletter. How cool is that! From his comments I conclude that he thinks church members are isolated from the world and need to know something about the "outsiders" and how they think.

Just yesterday, I was asking myself two questions: Why do I feel so alienated from this church? Why don't I simply go elsewhere? I've never had a satisfactory answer to number two, but number one is a no-brainer. I teach in a secular university, love art and music, and generally am not at all afraid of the world. Over the years, I've gotten to know Muslims, witches, and militant atheists. My secretary at Ashland is firmly convinced that I'm Jewish. I love thinking—both my own and other people's. By contrast, many of the people at the church (particularly the ones who have been there for a while) absolutely dislike thinking, and have a very firm "us/them" view of the world. In this construction, the outsiders have a plan going to sink Christianity, and (apparently) have meetings to discuss strategy. To listen to the rhetoric, you'd think the church is planted in the heart of the old Soviet Union, not in a place where Christians are the majority and the outsiders fear us.

I don't think the above is my first column. I'm not sure what will be, but apparently I'll get to do it. Probably better get a draft going so I can get it through the editorial process.

No comments:

Post a Comment