Sunday, April 19, 2009

Honeypuff Redux

Ah memories of the little semi-Greek bistro where Joel and I worked a few years ago! Between having an amateur owner and a very green staff, we did about everything we could to kill that place (except steal and introduce rats). Maybe it was the location. After a stunning three-month run, the restaurant shut down and stayed empty for a good long time. Then a pizza place bought it and looked good for nearly a year. Then they vanished too. Now Athens Greek Restaurant has opened a branch operation there. I hope they make it, though I do wonder.

Athens is everything the owner of the Honeypuff despised: Greek travel posters on the walls, spaghetti on the menu, and cloves to hold the layers of filo together in the baklava. When I was at their downtown location recently, my three small dolmades appeared in the company of a large portion of cottage cheese. Not exactly what I was hoping for.

That was a busy summer for me. I worked nearly 40 hours at the restaurant (sometimes opening in the wee hours before dawn) and taught a course at North Central State College. I felt about the same when I worked in the book warehouse and taught a course. I'm about 85% convinced that I should take this summer off, do some genuine reading (both professional and pleasure) and get my academic house in order. It wouldn't be a bad idea to get my literal house in order either. The rug needs shampoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment