Friday, September 25, 2009

It never ends

Ashland University, desperate to save every penny, has instituted a mandatory electronic direct deposit scheme for paychecks. Like they spend a lot to send me three paychecks a semester.

I'm always suspicious of these Rube Goldberg ideas, and this time confirmed my suspicions. Today was payday, and (after half an hour of rummaging around to find out where on the Internet my pay stub resides) I discovered that I don't actually work here. So now someone is trying to find a copy of my contract. The next step, I'm sure, is to figure out what to do with me. Am I a new hire as of 9/25? Do I get paid for the work I've already done? Maybe they will simply do what NCSC did the time they lost my contract: write a new custom contract with pay periods all adjusted a month later than everyone else's.

I'm getting really nostalgic for the days (which were before my time) when employees lined up outside a paymaster's window to get cash in little brown envelopes.

No comments:

Post a Comment