Friday, September 11, 2009

Sometimes you just have to count

I've been getting really grumpy about Akron parking, so I kept track of the actual search time last Tuesday. It was about 13 minutes. Sure seemed longer.

At the gym they play a local radio station (Y-105) on the PA system, and one of the songs has an incredibly repetitive refrain. I'm not too sure what it's saying, exactly (poor sound quality), but I think it's "This is just a summer love." Or maybe "This is just a rubber glove." Or maybe "It's a bitchin' mother bug." Something like that anyhow. It comes back again and again, so today, while doing a particularly mindless exercise, I counted. It's only 20 times in the song. If the typical Top 40 song runs about three minutes, that's only seven times a minute, hardly more often than once every ten seconds. Sure seemed like more. Maybe because the station plays that song three or four times an hour. But anyhow, now that I've actually counted, I realize that the song isn't any more repetitive than some of the things we sing on Sunday morning in church. (And with seven syllables in the refrain, actually repeats a longer section than some of our worship songs do.)

No comments:

Post a Comment