Monday, September 7, 2009

Things change

So here I am on Labor Day, at 1 p.m., wondering what the rest of my day will bring. It's a rainy 65 degrees, which is OK with me because I got out to the bike trails yesterday and the day before. It's always nice when the temperature shoots up above 75 in Mansfield. I love those early Fall days when we flirt with the low 80s, but never make it all the way to 85. Clear skies are such a rare treat here, too, and the last two days gave us plenty of those.

For years and years, Memorial Day and Labor Day were the occasion of big, elaborate family picnics at the Vega household, complete with a mandatory game of "Death Croquet." (Let a crowd of young teenage boys loose with wooden balls and hammers, and watch what happens.)

Things have gotten quieter and quieter as the years have wound on. People have moved out of town, gotten their own families. Mansfield isn't the sort of place where adults make friends with each other, but this isn't the time/place to have a lot of regrets. I've learned to love solitary activities (night bike rides on the B&O trail, for example), and my teaching is very consuming, so I'm enjoying this alone day. Listening to Peter Nero jazz, planning on braising some steak later, and perhaps spending time with friend Jon, who has touched down for a brief visit between cities.

No comments:

Post a Comment