Tuesday, March 17, 2009

How I spend my break

Ashland University was on break last week. The University of Akron is on break this week. So how was I supposed to spend my time? I assigned both schools a major paper to be turned in just before they left. The idea was that I'd grade while they were gone. That didn't exactly work.

Last week, with Monday, Wednesday, and Friday off, I actually spend hours and hours doing stuff that will prepare for September classes. Today was much the same (though I took a couple of hours off to have lunch with an old friend and to visit an antique shop).

Charlie Brown's friend Linus stated that "big sisters are the crabgrass in the lawn of life." I think grading is the crabgrass on my lawn of life. I'm pausing at 4:46—just finished one class and about 15 papers to do for the next.

My family and friends tell me that I'm always saying I'm behind on my grading, and it's true. I don't like giving people bad news. I don't like reading papers that show I've been ineffective as a teacher. I don't like reading lots of papers that are substantially identical.

But the students need it.

I think I'll put a pan of brownies in the oven and grade half a dozen papers.

No comments:

Post a Comment