Wednesday, March 25, 2009

My economic prescription

Yesterday I had to exchange a small part for the church's Mac Mini. Because I was already in Akron, I decided to go to the Apple store in Legacy Village, only about 20 minutes north of me, rather than all the way back to the one near Columbus.

Mistake.

Not counting the intense road construction, things got really insane when I was within two miles of the store. I'd never been to Legacy Village before, so I was depending on a Google map, which told me to exit the highway and drive "into" Cedar Lane. At the exit was a tight exit ramp, a crossroad, and a sign pointing to the right with the words "Cedar Lane." I thought things were going well. I didn't realize that the sign meant I should have taken the exit (which the sign didn't point to) rather than the street (which it did point to). Adding to the confusion was the Cleveland habit of putting road signs on only the minor roads—after all, you KNOW what the major roads are, right?

After I had wandered around on various roads for about half an hour, I began to think that the Apple store was located in someone's house and that this "Legacy Village" must be a subdivision.

Which brings me to my main point, and my proposal for some of the government stimulus money: use it for road signs pointing people to shopping malls.

There's nothing to alert a wanderer to the location of Legacy Village until you drive by the entrance. (I did have a Cedar Lane address for the Apple store, and that helped a lot.) Similarly, if you want to go to Eastland Town Center in Columbus, there's a freeway sign that tells you to take an exit that's totally wrong. Finding the right one is mainly a matter of experience. The Apple website lists the address as "4070 The Strand East," which is zero help to someone trying to drive there. Even humble Mansfield lists addresses as if you already knew: Macy's is at 715 Richland Mall. And where is Richland Mall? Their website has the answer: 2209 Richland Mall.

No comments:

Post a Comment