Monday, March 16, 2009

Smelling Good

Recently my mother revealed one of those little family bits that somehow gets forgotten when one is young. She said that a major disappointment was that Dad never smelled pretty. Her own father had been very partial to Old Spice. As far as I know the only artificial scent Dad ever used was cigars. I don't think he even used deodorant.

I guess that's why I never got into aftershave and such (though I do use deodorant). I have a little bottle of Brut that's been around since I was in college, and it still smells the same—one person who posted on Flickr says the odor will still be popular "as long as there are 16 year old boys who confuse sophistication with the ability to fumigate a room on entry." Maybe I should be glad that the Brut is still nearly full.

This is why I'm surprised at myself. At Christmas, I visited a trendy little French-themed boutique, looking for a gift for my sister. To my surprise, I actually found something I liked, and bought it for myself. To my even greater surprise, I just bought a second bottle of a different scent from the same (rather expensive) shop.

Who is the little outfit that caught my fancy (and nose)? Something called l'Occitane. So, depending on the season, you'll find me smelling like either "lavender, blended with the peppery, nutmeg scent of burnt wood" or like "citrus top notes underscored with sage, anise seed, fig and black currant."

Who would have thought?

(By the way, it doesn't hurt that the company supports a foundation to work against blindness and to enable women to earn a decent living in the part of Africa that supplies some of their raw materials.)

No comments:

Post a Comment