Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Recession mentality

I find myself thinking such odd thoughts.

I don't have much money, really. If all employment ceased, I'd last maybe seven months maximum (living slim). So I look at the bank meltdowns and wonder if I should split my meager cash between two banks in case one fails. After all, when I first got to Ohio, the church here had its money locked up for several weeks when a state-insured savings & loan went bankrupt. Same thing in our future?

And I look at things to buy and assume that such merchandise won't be available much longer. Nice shoes, for example. Who will be able to run a good shoe company or shoe store in the future?

This does feel kind of insane, after all.

I remember laughing at my grandmother's husband, Cecil, when he rushed out and bought a car in about 1963 because the country was going down fast and people wouldn't be able to buy cars. Come to think of it, he hoarded the old kind of money, silver certificates, because they really did represent precious metal in some government vault. Buried $2500 worth in a tin box in the back yard of their Pennsylvania Avenue house here in Mansfield. Of course, Pennsylvania Avenue is kind of flat and back yards collect water, so when he dug the box up several years later he had a couple of handfuls of very expensive compost.

Maybe I should just go ahead and live normally. I don't know where I'd put a lot of clothes and shoes and stuff anyhow.

No comments:

Post a Comment